These events help us take steps necessary to achieving our mission.
An event held in April by the YWCA Bradford’s Victims’ Resource Center, Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® is a men’s march against rape, sexual assault and gender violence.
The next Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® event will be April 12, 2018
An event in which the YWCA Bradford celebrates extraordinary community women. We honor women who foster growth and development through service, leadership and dedication.
The next Leader Luncheon will be held on Wednesday, March 7, 2018.
Live entertainment, good eats, spirits, and of course, tons of BACON!
The YWCA Bradford is thrilled to announce Swig & Swine, our inaugural, signature event. Swig & Swine will be held on Saturday, July 21, 2018, from 5-9 p.m., with VIP entrance at 4 p.m., at the Bradford Township Community Club (aka Bradford Lions Club). We can’t wait to see you there!
Join the YWCA Bradford on July 21, 2018, for the inaugural Chasin’ Bacon Challenge. Hoof it through our 2 mile obstacle course throughout Callahan Park, which includes a tire drag, army crawl, hurdles, log carry, spray park and more! Bring the whole family!
$20 registration fee includes a T-shirt! (guaranteed if pre-registered by June 30th) and a chance to win “sooey-t” prizes!
Everyday we continue to provide quality services to those in need. Our staff and volunteers do amazing things everyday. They help victims of domestic violence and sexual assault find safety and a sense of worth. They educate those with mental illness and/or an intellectual disability and empower them find independence. They feed the hungry, house the homeless and provide a needed connection to many of our homebound neighbors. It has been said before but it bears repeating… our staff and volunteers are our greatest asset! You can learn more about our staff by clicking here.
What’s coming up for the YWCA in 2018? Many great things, friends! Stay tuned for more information!
1915 Through Today
1915: YWCA got its start when Marie Brake, a traveler with the group Biederwold Evangelical Party, roared into town and fired up area women to come together. She organized the Young Women’s Christian League, and “invited all interested women to live together with a common goal of the mental, physical and spiritual welfare of girls and women, whose desire it is to help, unselfishly and intelligently, all girls and women in the community”.
1915: The League rented a house on 36 Boylston Street, which was eventually donated to the League in 1924. Activities included dressmaking, china painting, Bible study, cooking, first aid, home nursing and dramatics. The intent of the home was to provide young working women with a place to go to connect with other women and to rest and relax. A “house mother” was employed.
1916: Miss Lois G. Scott is employed as the first “General Secretary”
1920-1930: Grace Emery becomes heavily involved in the League/Association, both in a leadership capacity and a philanthropic capacity. Ms. Emery was one of the YWCA’s first Presidents. The Strawberry Festival begins.
April 28, 1924: The League receives its charter to become the Young Women’s Christian Association. Some of the first charter members were Grace Emery, Sarah Hamsher, Helen Schonblom, Ethel Andrus, Genevieve Curtis, Ida Sloan, Janet Brooks, Maude Moore and several others.
May 1924: The YWCA rents the second floor above the South Penn Oil company’s garage to headquarter its offices and activities until April 1, 1945. The home at 36 Boylston Street was retained as a dormitory
1930: The YWCA purchases property at 34 Boylston Street
1940: The YWCA acquires property at 38 Boylston Street
1945-1947: A fund drive raises $213,000 to erect a new building to provide more space for growing activities. However, due to rising construction costs and area floods, the funds were used to purchase the Webb property, located at 24 W. Corydon Street, the YWCA’s current location. The other properties were sold.
October 21, 1948: Groundbreaking on the new property began to connect the original home with the stables, with the cornerstone being laid on December 12, 1948.
November 14, 1949: Dedication Ceremony and official opening of the new space on Corydon Street was held. Numerous clubs move into the new building, including the Business and Professional Women’s Club, the Triangle Club, Judy Club, Married Mixers, Mothers’ Club, Teen Age Club and YW Wives.
1950’s: Classes continue to be held, including bridge, painting, health, crafts, child care, Bible study, sewing and others. Fundraising is ongoing, including rummage sales, card parties, an antique show and a “Tour of Homes” in 1955, and of course the Strawberry Festival is ongoing.
April 1979: A Capital Campaign to raise funds for renovations is undertaken. Programs at the time included a residence for single women, shelter and counseling, the ENCORE program for post-mastectomy women, Headstart, gymnastics, several clubs and educational programs.
1985: The YWCA begins to focus more on needed services and less on clubs and social activities. A formal child care program is instituted. The transition from a social organization to a services organization begins.
1987: The YWCA purchases property and begins renovations to help women who need somewhere to stay due to a loss of a spouse, loss of income or other situations.
The YWCA Bradford is dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all.
This program provides a number of services to homeless and near homeless individuals.
This program provides comprehensive services to domestic violence and sexual abuse victims.
This program provides supported living services to individuals with mental health needs through medication monitoring and in-home assistance.
This program provides hot, nutritious meals to homebound seniors and other individuals meeting program criteria.
The YWCA Food Pantry provides food to supplement the food budgets of people in our community.